Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:16:00 +0100
From:      Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Artur Grabowski <art@stacken.kth.se>, Tech1 <tech@scsr.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@openbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9811122138560.10145-100000@picnic.mat.net>  Chuck Robey wrote:
> On 13 Nov 1998, Artur Grabowski wrote:
>
> > "Tech1" <tech@scsr.com> writes:
> >
> > > The cost of this software is $350 but open for bargin. For more than 10M $
> > > company it's another price. If anyone working as consultant for companies.
> > > You may resell this software to them.
> >
> > Or you can get almost the same thing for free from http://www.eddieware.org/
> > With source code. (Yes, I know it still doesn't run on *BSD, but that's a
> > matter of weeks until that code is released).
>
> The guy's trying to make a living, and you're not.  You don't know the
> quality of either piece of software yet, but attitudes like that are a
> big reason that free software isn't more highly catered to by commercial
> companies.

I think for making a living its to low a price, this stuff doesn't ship like
hamburgers (or gif viewers ...). In this installations the money is made from
the consulting they need, and the cost of the software is marginal, even if he
charges 10 times as much.
So the race against eddie is open. On the other hand for personal use and
playing around $350 is to much, so eddie will run on more machines.

> If you want native versions of things like WordPerfect, then reconsider
> making posts like this.

WordPerfect is an example where the money is made by selling the product.
Ever wondered why Cygnus doesn't make spreadsheets or wordprocessors ??

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center