Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2016 17:14:24 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: borderline OT fireox question

On Fri, July 15, 2016 12:49, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:

> I apologize for derailing this conversation. Privacy on the web is a
> worthwhile concern, but I've grown tired of the overwrought paranoia
> that accompanies that concern. To most of the world, including the
> people you meet every day, you are not Ralph Madorf. You are not
> William A. Maheffey III. You are a faceless number nobody cares
> about, . . .

Today.

But maybe tomorrow some entity may come to view you as a threat.  And
then the record of your past becomes a weapon in their hands.

Google can identify you as an individual with a very good probability
simply by enumerating the fonts installed on your computer.  Add any
three other bits of data such as browser type, geo-location and query
subject and they will have you individually identified with almost
100% accuracy.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3