Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2011 23:44:34 -0500
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flash Player and nspluginwrapper instability

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Brandon Gooch
<jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently (in the last few weeks), I've lost the ability to use Flash
> in the browser on 9-CURRENT. Details:
>
> FreeBSD m6500.local 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r223911: Sun
> Jul 10 14:53:05 CDT 2011
> firefox-5.0,1
> nspluginwrapper-1.4.4
> linux-f10-flashplugin-10.3r181.34

[SNIP]

> -Brandon

I started bisecting kernel, world, nspluginwrapper, and flash plugin
versions starting from stuff I had laying around from early June 'til
today, and I saw the same behavior no matter what versions of software
I was using.

Then, it hit me -- I upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 16GB about a few
weeks ago, and that's around the time I remember last using flash in
the browser. So, I opened up my computer, removed 8GB of memory (and
added back the old 2x2GB sticks so the computer would boot -- I have
another 8GB loaded in slots under the keyboard), giving me a total of
12GB of memory.

I updated kernel, world and ports, and gave Hulu a whirl. No issues
whatsoever. Youtube was also OK. I've been able to use flash for quite
a while now, with no issues.

So, there is something going wrong with the combination of software,
hardware (NVIDIA with any version of their drivers), and the large
memory size, in my case 16GB. Drop it down to say, 12GB, and
everything is stable...

-Brandon