Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:13:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, mike@smith.net.au, ck@adsu.bellsouth.com, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

> > Well whistle is giving htis away so we don'tthink it should
> > be whistle_xxx
> > any more than the kernel should be UCB/...
> > It occur to me that eventually every single device driver
> > will be a KLD
> > an also a lot of other things besides...
> > there are going to be  a LOT of files in /modules....
>
> Ok, in this case maybe it doesn't apply but in general we should
> determine what the guidelines for third party module developers should
> be to avoid namespace clashes. I though a FreeBSD prefix for modules
> shipped as part of FreeBSD would be useful to list all those modules
> that are *not* third party supplied when you've got a directory full of
> the things.

I've thought about this, and I think it would be a very bad idea.

We want to keep this *simple*.  In the case of, eg. OSS, one might
expect:

	dev_oss.ko
	oss_yamaha.ko
	oss_sb16.ko

There's no need to add extra crap just to identify the vendor.  It
doesn't serve any really useful purpose - we will have metainformation
elsewhere that can be used to link modules comprising a product
together - there's no need to duplicate it in the filename.