Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2017 15:34:37 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re-synchronize zfs man pages with illumos

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Originally ZFS manual pages were written using a different formatting language
> from what we use in FreeBSD.  I am not very knowledgeable in this area, but the
> experts should recognize the language by things like \fB, \fR, etc.
>
> Martin Matuska (mm) converted the manuals to the FreeBSD mdoc in r228019
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=228019
>
> Recently illumos switched to using mdoc format as well.
> That happened gradually and the changes were usually mixed with other changes.
> For example, the zpool manual was converted in this change:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=318936
> https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/commit/c8323d4323a565676ba44883bfeb289d9ed8813e
>
> It is not surprising, of course, that the illumos mdoc pages are quite different
> from their FreeBSD counterparts given the independent conversions.
>
> So, at the moment we have several classes of differences that are not easy to
> identify via textual differences of the source files alone.
>
> 1. Differences in the content due to underlying differences between illumos and
> FreeBSD, e.g. zones vs jails or different sample disk names, etc.
>
> 2. Whitespace differences where exactly the same words are split differently
> between the lines, etc.
>
> 3. Style differences.  For example, explicit parentheses vs Pq/Po/Pc; use of  Tn
> in FreeBSD; much more frequent use of Ns macro in illumos; quotes vs a different
> font (e.g. Qq vs Sy); etc.
>
> 4. Mistakes in either FreeBSD or illumos version.  For example, the FreeBSD
> versions often continue a line after a period.
>
> 5. Independent / diverging language corrections.
>
> My impression is that the illumos pages are cleaner than the FreeBSD ones at the
> moment. My inclination is to suggest that we "restart" our pages from the
> current illumos pages and "rebase" FreeBSD-specific changes on top of those.
>
> I realize that that would be a lot of work.  But the benefits are quite obvious
> as it would be much easier to merge changes both ways.
>
> Comments, suggestions, offers of help are all very welcome!
> Thanks.

I think anything that can be done to both strengthen the Illumos
projects and create tighter coupling between BSD projects is a good
thing. Documentation work is also an excellent way to learn a
technology. I would happily contribute to this project and it would be
a good one to push towards new comers looking to learn/leverage ZFS.
It would also create an uptick in activity and could be used as
advocacy/advertising in tech publications. ZFS is a big pull from
GNU/Linux to FreeBSD. I also think that DTrace documentation on
FreeBSD could use some cleanup and renewal. It's such an awesome
feature.

Russ