Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 08:44:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: some pcvt quirks

> As Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86OpenPcvt: VT_GETMODE failed
> > Found pcvt driver but X11 seems to be not supported.
> > Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries
>
> Well, read just the above sentence (i did my best to be as clear as
> possible when i wrote this), and then the LINT file:

Not to appear nitpicky but wouldn't have been a line
"maybe you want to put options XSERVER into your kernel config file"
more explanatory :-) ?

> #options                XSERVER                 # include code for XFree86
>
> I don't know why XSERVER has been removed from syscons (or has it
> never been there?  maybe), pcvt always required it for those who
> intend to run an X server.  However, it used to be in the default
> config file previously.

I didn't have XSERVER in my config file (though UCONSOLE) since
as you stated syscons doesn't need it any more. This should be reflected
in the INSTALL.FreeBSD-2.0 - no word of XSERVER there at present
and since I wasn't used to use it any longer I was baffled
about the 'but X11 seems to be not supported' (see above).

> > The BACKSPACE key gives a 0x7f (DELETE) in vi; at least it would be nice
> > if the default behaviour was ^H when one is moving from syscons to pcvt.
>
> No way. :-) Pcvt has never been generating a backspace, and as long as
> i'm maintaining it, will never by default.  Modify the source, or run
> kcon -m blah if you love backspaces... i don't.  (But PLEEZE, don't
> start another useless discussion about this topic, folks.)
>
> Well, if you don't like the personal argument (though this is _only_ a
> matter of personal taste), buy this: pcvt is emulating a DEC VT series
> terminal, and early VT100's weren't even able to generate something
> else than a DEL for that key.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950701 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-