Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:29:17 -0800
From:      James Long <list@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seeking functional modem on ThinkPad T30, what about FRU 91P7661 ?

I recently bought a used (but very straight!) ThinkPad T30.  Upon
opening the PCI cover, I find antenna leads, which leads me to believe
this unit is wi-fi ready.  I currently use a Proxim 8470-FC (b/g) with
excellent results under FreeBSD 6.0.

The modem in the T30 is not useable currently, AFAIK.  PCMIIW, but I
haven't found anything in my searches that leads me to believe that
this modem is support by FreeBSD or the comms/ltmdm port:

none1@pci0:31:6:        class=0x070300 card=0x02231014 chip=0x24868086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82801CA/CAM (ICH3-S/ICH3-M) AC'97 Modem Controller'
    class    = simple comms
    subclass = generic modem

The IBM FRU 91P7661 I believe is a Prism 2.5-based wi-fi mini-PCI card
with V.90 modem.  The wi-fi side sounds like it might work with the wi
driver.  I do not know what the chipset is behind the modem.

Is there anyone on the list using the 91P7661 successfully on a T30 or
similar ThinkPad?  I would consider purchasing one if I knew that the
wi-fi side would work with FreeBSD 6 and that the modem would work with
the Lucent driver in comms/ltmdm.  I can live with built-in wi-fi b and
plug in the Proxim PC card when I need 802.11g.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad, with the
91P7661 wi-fi/modem combo.  I do sometimes need dial-up, but mostly I
miss hylafax!

Thanks,

Jim