Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:46:59 -0700
From:      James Wu <jameswu@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sis(4) driver error with NetGearFA311

I'm a FreeBSD newbie who have attempted the installation of 4.5 a year
ago when I received problems with my NetGear FA311 (National
Semiconductor). I was told then that installing from floppies does not
offer me the same set of drivers and thus I should use a CD instead. I
got a CD writer this year and as par instructions burned the mini iso of
4.7, and still received the same issue.
According to the hardware list, my NatSemi uses the sis driver, which is
detected at boot time, during which I received:
-snip-
sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> at device 13.0 on pci1
sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6
pci1: <unknown card> (vendor=0x11c1, dev=0x004e)    //not sure if it's
part of the error message so putting it on anyway
-snip-
And according to Diagnostics in the documentation "sis%d: couldn't map
ports/memory [indicates] a fatal initialization error has occurred.", I
think it's my error in configuring. Could anyone out there give me a hand?

Thank you, James

-Additional information if needed: is running i686 (Intel celeron), PCI
bridge is Intel82801AA, vendor Hewlett-Packard (HP-Pavilion), other
existing OS: Windows ME *shudder*