Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 19:38:47 -0400
From:      "Stephen Comoletti" <rugose@www.delanet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fw: Fw: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC

That would be wonderful!

Ok..novice question here. I am familiar with unix from a dialup shell
viewpoint only..I know the basics on how to get around, edit files,
compile, etc. But I do not know how to work on it from an admin/install
viewpoint.

With that in mind,  Since I *was* installing from the cd which created the
boot floppy
from the image on the cd, will I need a new floppy image that will
recognize the
controller before I can complete my install from the cd? Also, which files
will I need from -current, and where is -current for that matter.

On a different but similar topic, I am planning to buy a tape backup before
I go through with this. I was looking at the Iomega Ditto Easy 1.6/3.2 that
uses the TR3 cartidges.
It interfaces via the floppy drive controller. Yes it's slow, however it
has the size i need
and the price (a scsi based tape drive is out of my range, and most are
really larger than I need anyway). Will that type of tape drive work in
freeBSD? or should I go with the colorado 3200 (same thing, same media, but
IDE interface instead)?

BTW, thanx everyone for the help, I got more replies on what I should do
here than anywhere else I've tried looking before I subscribed to the list.
:)

Steve
----------
> From: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
> To: Stephen Comoletti <rugose@www.delanet.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Fw: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC
> Date: Wednesday, September 17, 1997 12:41 AM
>
> Stephen Comoletti said:
> > Small update and another question. The intel udma controller is made
> > actually a Promise Technology Ultra33 IDE. Promise Tech claims not to
> > supprt freebsd or any other unix from the info gateway tech support
could
> > provide me. Their only advice was to connect the drive to the
motherboard
> > primary ide which freebsd did detect.
> >
> > Question is, will there be any updates to freebsd that will allow
detection
> > of the above card? or is it actually compatible now and I have another
> > problem? Gateway tech said the difference from the promise controller
and
> > the motherboard ide is as great as 3-1 ratio, a visually noticable
speed
> > difference depending on what I use the pc for. I'd rather is the card
if at
> > all possible.
> >
> > So far I've checked the cables, the jumpers, and made numerous changes
> > the bios in an attempt to get it to recognize the card. Any more ideas
> > before I pull it out?
> >
> I am about to commit reasonably complete support of the Promise Ultra33
IDE
> interface.  We will be able to support multiple PCI IDE interfaces in
-current.
> My measurements show that I am getting the entire 33MBytes/sec burst
transfer
> rate, with 10MBytes/sec continuous data rate to/from the disk platters,
on the
> outer zone, with a WDAC5100L disk drive.  I currently have 7 IDE disk
drives,
> 1 SCSI disk drive, and 2 SCSI CDROM drives on my system, and it all works
well
> together.  The two IDE interfaces on my system are the PIIX3 from the
Natoma