Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:07:27 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Robert <traveling08@cox.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: src.conf question

--DCA/C9WSnDtl50zu

On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 06:44:16AM -0800, Robert wrote:
> I will be upgrading my main desktop system from 8-stable to 9-stable
> this week and am quite confused with regards to Clang vs GCC. I have
> complete backups and will be doing a complete re-install.
>=20
> I have seen several different examples of what to put
> into /etc/src.conf and /etc/make.conf and am not sure if it is safe or
> even advisable to make the move to Clang for source and ports.
>=20
> Can someone help with this?

Back around May, I migrated my stable/8 machines to stable/9.  At that
time, I also switched to clang from gcc for building the FreeBSD base
system.  (I expected quite a bit more "turbulence" were I to attempt
that with ports.)

Accordingly, I configured /etc/src.conf to read:

CC=3Dclang
CXX=3Dclang++
CPP=3Dclang-cpp
WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=3Dyes

and that has been working well for me since.  (Disclosure: I track
stable/9 daily, which is probably a higher frequency than most folks.
For that matter, I also track head daily on the same machine (different
slice).)

In any case, there are no problems I can ascribe to having done that.

Peace,
david
--=20
Taliban: Evil men with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.

--DCA/C9WSnDtl50zu

--DCA/C9WSnDtl50zu--