Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 02:41:16 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ohmon@sfc.keio.ac.jp
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, ohmon@sfc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: ports for jp-ghostscript and jp-xdvi

 * Hello, my name is Hideaki Ohmon.

Hello, my name is Satoshi Asami.

Did I tell you I imported your ptex port?  Well I did, and the package
is also on packages-2.1.

 * I made ports for gs + Japanese patch and xdvi for ASCII TeX and put
 * jp-ghostscript-2.6.1.4.tar.gz and jp-xdvi-17.tar.gz on
 * ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/ .

Thanks.  I took a look at ghostscript, a few points.

(1) Please put them in a subdirectory when you do a "tar" to package
    them up, it will save other people (usually me) a lot of time.

(2) There is a standard "format" for Makefiles now, please read
    section 4.3 of the handbook.  You can also see what I changed in
    your ptex port.

(3) You can use PATCHFILES to do most of the patching.  I put the
    modified version in jp-ghostscript2.tar.gz in the same incoming
    directory, please take a look.

(4) Is it feasible to make a package of this?  I appreciate your
    hacking you've done in add_fonts in order to generate a correct
    pkg/PLIST, but I think it's a little too complicated.  Should I
    create 4 packages, for each of the different resolutions?

    Do you think it'll take up too much space if we just go ahead and
    install all fonts, and leave it to the user to select them at
    run-time (if such things are possible)?

    Also, if you are going to ask the user about the resolution, it
    should be in the configure stage, not installation.  It confused
    the heck out of me when I saw an ncftp starting up after I
    answered the question during installation! ;)

 * But port for xdvi has a problem.
 * xdvi use prefix /usr/X11R6 and install binary and manual page. But
 * xdvi use PK fonts and install them under /usr/local/lib/fonts/ .
 * I have no idea in such case...  Please help me.

Can't you make it put them under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ or
something?

Satoshi

P.S. If you want to write to me in Japanese, go ahead.