Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:02:55 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Friday, 26 November 1999 at  9:55:58 +0100, Michael Elbel wrote:
> In lists.freebsd.questions you write:
>
>> BTW Greg, you mentioned that you use emacs for composing e-mail with
>> mutt, which is what I'm doing now. Is there a way to make it (mutt)
>> open another buffer in an emacs window that's already running rather
>> than starting another instance of emacs?
>
> You sure it was Greg?

Well, I believe it :-)  I'm sure we're not the only two who use mutt
and Emacs.

> I've mentioned this before:
>
> Set your editor to gnuclient and it will do what you want
> (export EDITOR=gnuclient).
> You can also do this on the commandline, of course
>
> $ gnuclient /etc/passwd
>
> You need to load gnuserv in your .emacs file. This is what I have in mine:
>
> (load-library "gnuserv")
> (gnuserv-start nil)

OK, what does this buy you?  It's relatively easy to tell Emacs to
edit something from outside, but how do you get mutt to wait until
you've finished editing the message, and how to you tell mutt when you
have finished?

Greg