Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2014 14:55:30 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Keymap definitions for VT / NEWCONS

Hi Aleksandr,

I have converted quite a number of the SYSCONS keymaps to NEWCONS
format, using your script (uakbd2ukbd.pl).

Many conversions lead to identical files for NEWCONS, some had a
just a few replaced characters (e.g. Turkish or Brasilian keymaps).

I verified quite a number of single characters using web resources
(e.g. http://www.decodeunicode.org/ and keyboard layout images at
http://http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/275 - replace number at
the end for other locales).

When there were different source encodings (e.g. German ISO8859-1
and CP850), I compared those too - the results should have been
identical. In fact, there were minor changes and the version that
had been converted from ISO was better than the one from CP850,
with the exception of a single shifted key.

I want to commit the conversion results to share/vt/keymaps, if
you don't mind. In a first step, I want to commit those keymaps
that I think are correct (either because they are identical to the
SYSCONS keymaps, or because I checked them against web resources).

I did not know how to deal with Dvorak keymaps (especially since
they are not named according to the encoding used for SYSCONS),
they can come later.

These keymaps should be committed in time for 10.1, since NEWCONS
is in GENERIC and people will expect them.

When these maps are committed to -CURRENT, I can remove the hack
that made kbdcontrol lookup keymaps under share/syscons/keymaps
as a fall-back. This hack will not be merged to 10-STABLE ...

One minor point: I want to commit the keymaps under names that
just consist of the country code and ".kbd" (e.g. "us.kbd"), since
only Unicode encoding is supported/required.

Keyboards with accented characters will be named like "us.acc.kbd".

I'm planning to commit the keymap files that I have on Thursday,
if there are no objections.

Regards, STefan

PS: I have the keymaps that are ready to commit uploaded to:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~se/vt-keymaps.tar.bz2
    (This file includes the 3 sample keymaps that already are
     in SVN since I did not exclude them when tarring ...)