Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:29:27 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jashank Jeremy <jashank.jeremy@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        Multimedia discussions <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Skype not getting video from webcam

Quoting Jashank Jeremy <jashank.jeremy@optusnet.com.au> (from Mon, 4
Oct 2010 19:01:53 +1100):

> Hi,
>
> I've just got a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000, and, after installing
> webcamd and pwcview, works very well. However, when I try to use it in
> Skype, it doesn't work.
>
> When I ktrace(1) Skype, and bodge UVC in webcamd to produce debugging
> data, I get the following output.
>
> This is the debugging data from UVC:
>
> uvcvideo: uvc_v4l2_open
> uvcvideo: uvc_v4l2_ioctl(VIDIOCGCAP)
> uvcvideo: Unknown ioctl 0x40047601

> This is the relevant portion of the ktrace(1) output from Skype
> (dumped using ports/devel/linux_kdump):
>  86117 skype    CALL  linux_open(0x2dc9e0b8,0x802,0)
>  86117 skype    NAMI  "/compat/linux/dev/video0"
>  86117 skype    NAMI  "/dev/video0"
>  86117 skype    RET   linux_open 11/0xb
>  86117 skype    CALL  linux_ioctl(0xb,0x80685600 ,0x2dc9e014)
>  86117 skype    RET   linux_ioctl -1 errno 22 Invalid argument

> I'm none the wiser as to what's going on here, especially the
> ioctl(2)'s not matching between Skype and webcamd. Could someone
> enlighten me?

Please specify your FreeBSD version. If 8.1-RELEASE (or older): this
will not work, you need to update to a recent -stable.

If this is on -stable or -current, please provide the output of "ident
/sys/compat/linux/linux_ioctl.c".

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us, the Universe.