Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 2015 02:23:18 -0400
From:      John Wolfe <jlw@xinuos.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Use of pkg plugins breaks the build of /usr/ports software

On 4/8/2015 7:59 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 03:02:44PM -0400, John Wolfe wrote:
>> Having built a pkg-plugin based on the pkg-plugin-template at
>> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg-plugins and adding
>>
>>> PLUGINS [
>>>          "x-adminsync",
>>> ]
>> the plugin is working as desired.    Good so far......
>>
>> I was caught off guard when later attempting to "make" something in
>> /usr/ports.  The builds fail miserably with multiple
>>
>>> pkg-static: Loading of plugin 'x-adminsync' failed: Service unavailable
>>> pkg-static: Plugins cannot be loaded
>>> make[1]: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1206: warning:
>>> "/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static version -t 1.4.12 1.3.8" returned non-zero
>>> status
>> I would not expect that a static binary be able to load and use a
>> relocatable object so I am surprised that it even tried to do so. Even
>> so, a failure should be expected and not terminate the pkg-static process.
>>
>> Is this a bug, works as designed?
>>
> Hum probably both, I need to rework pkg-static so that it is not entierly static
> but static for all but libc so that it allows plugins, Haven't done that work
> yet.
>
> What bothers me is that pkg-static should not even tried to load plugins so it
> should not return any failure, that is a bug, I'll try to see fix it.
>
> Btw I'm happy to see someone is actually using the plugin interface, I haven't
> spent time on it since 1.3 and happy to see that I haven't broken it :)
>
> I would like to hear more feedback about the usage of plugins, how good/bad it
> is, how we could improve it etc, this is the first time I'm coding a plugin
> interface I do not expect it so be good :)

Thanks for the quick response.   A fix that would have pkg-static avoid
attempting to load a plugin would allow us to continue use of and extend
the plugin without drastically impacting the use of /usr/ports and
poudriere.

Do you need or would you like me to file a bug report?   And of course I
will be happy to test any changes that are proposed.

-- John