Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 00:33:06 -0500
From:      James Secreto <Jimsonic@aol.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Natd and IPforwarding

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.7 and attempting to set up ipforwarding on a
dual homed system. I turned on natd_enable in my rc.conf and gave it my
interface which is vx0, I am running a 3com905 card. I am also running a
DEC21040 NIC for the local internet. The 3com is for the outside. I
turned on the firewall in the rc.conf and set the type to open. I also
set the net, mask and ip of my 3com in the rc.firewall config file in
the open section, where it asks for it. The firewall loads fine, and my
firewall rules list looks like this

00100    318    44249    divert 8668 ip from any to any via vx0
00100     16     1344     allow ip form any to any via lo0
00200      0           0      deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
65000      0           0      allow ip from any to any
65535      3        288     deny ip from any to any

Once the rules load at boot though i can no longer ping the outside
network, from my unix box. I realized that the packets then are somehow
getting lost when they were being diverted to natd, running on port
8668. To test this i removed the divert line from my ip firewall rules
list. Sure enough i can now ping the outside from my unix box (of course
i can't ping the outside net with any of my other computers though :-)

Can anyone help me with this...Thanks in advance.