Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:28:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
To:        patrick@filespanker.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcm0 freezes computer with recent -STABLE

In article <local.freebsd.stable_200309240310.12685.patrick@filespanker.com> you wrote:
> On September 22, 2003 06:37 pm, you wrote:
>> In message: <3F6F8857.200@tenebras.com>
>>
>>             Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> writes:
>> : Patrick C wrote:
>> : > I just cvsup'd Sept 21, installed everything today... kernel freezes
>> : > when detecting pcm0 during boot. After removing my soundcard, I'm able
>> : > to boot no problem. Any major changes to pcm0 in -STABLE lately?
>> :
>> : This happened intermittently to my Dell Inspiron -- there is a bug
>> : in the pcibus.c device probe, actually.   See if the following cures
>> : it.  Warner supposedly had a more correct revision, but I don't
>> : think it's been mfc'd.
>>
>> Yes.  I'm pretty sure it has been MFC'd.  Checking just now shows that
>> it has been MFC'd.
>>
>> Warner
>
> Nope. cvsup'd today after reading this, built and installed kernel/world
> again... same problem. FWIW, switching BIOS to PnP seems to fix that, but
> then my NIC doesn't work (yes, I realize it can be configured to work)

I noticed the same problem with world/kernels from 9/16 and last night (9/28).

I have a SB Live in my system and the system hangs on boot.  The last message
I see is the probe of the snd pcm0 device.  I haven't messed with the BIOS
settings at all (I was previously running 4.7-STABLE).  To get around it, I
went into the bootloader and unloaded the snd_emu10k and snd_pcm KLDs and
then the machine would boot again.

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request