Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:37:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: So, back on the topic of enabling bpf in GENERIC...

:     But even if you turn off the bpf device, you still have /dev/mem and
:     /dev/kmem to worry about.  For that matter, the intruder can still write
:     raw devices.  Also, there is another kernel feature called kldload(8).

    BTW, I wrote this section because a hacker actually installed the bpf
    device via the module loader during one of the root compromises at BEST,
    a year or two ago.  He had gotten it from a hackers cookbook of exploits
    which he convieniently left on-disk long enough for our daily backups to
    catch it :-).

						-Matt