Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 15:44:54 -0400
From:      "William Wong" <willwong@anime.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   socks5/irc/icq

Hey,

I've been experiencing a strange problem now and then with these programs on
my FreeBSD 3.4R box.

I connect via PPPoE to the net using "ppp -nat -ddial MYISP" and
everything's all good.
In my ppp.linkup file I first kill any running socks5 daemons and then run
socks5 as a normal user, so that when I irc, I get that userid as the ident
response.  ICQ from my winbox also runs fine.

Once in a while, I get disconnected from MYISP.  ppp reconnects nicely, the
socks5 daemon is restarted and everything goes on as it should....almost.

While I can do almost anything (www, mail, news, etc), it appears that
anything related to the socks5 daemon doesn't work.  IRC and ICQ from my
winbox won't work.  The programs will just continuously try to connect to
the server with no avail.  With IRC I can connect to servers, which don't
require an ident response.  Normally I can when everything is running fine.

Here's the strange part:

If I manually kill and restart ppp, everything works fine again!

Something about reconnecting in ppp and the socks5 daemon just don't mix and
I can't figure out what.

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
- Will

Here's some extra info:

some extra options in ppp.conf that I used:

        nat same_ports yes
        nat use_sockets yes
       nat unregistered_only yes

socks5.conf

auth 192.168.0. - -
# permit auth cmd src-host dest-host src-port dst-port
permit - - 192.168.0. - - -
deny - - - - - - -
# interface hostpattern portpattern interfaceaddress
interface 192.168.0.    -       ed2
interface -             -       tun0
# extra arguments
set SOCKS5_NOREVERSEMAP
set SOCKS5_NOSERVICENAME
set SOCKS5_NOIDENT
set SOCKS5_V4SUPPORT

[       SOCKS5_NOIDENT
              Omit ident requests. Use SOCKS5_NOIDENT  to  reduce
              timeouts  when you are certain clients are not run-
              ning identd's
]