Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2017 08:10:32 +0100
From:      Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
To:        "Mark Millard" <markmi@dsl-only.net>, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: External LLVM toolchain not consistently locating c++ when compiling ports

Hi,
This is not on Qemu, and I'm not cross-building. This is on an amd64 on 11.1-RELEASE-p2. Base was built without clang or gcc, and clang40 was installed from ports.

The base and kernel compile using lang/llvm40 with XCC, XCXX, and XCPP set. I'm a little confused, as how earlier, it seemed that ports that didn't need c++ were building without CC, CXX, and CPP options set.  If I made a mistake here, I apologize for this. It seems CC, CXX, and CPP are made for ports. Then the problem is with Rust locating c++ that is in /usr/local/bin/ and not contained within FreeBSD 11.1's base, in /usr/bin/.

Nearly all programs requiring c++, needed for my desktop (xorg, rxvt-unicode, leafpad, sox) compiled when all 6 variables were set (CC,CPP, etc). Only Rust, and programs depending on it failed. Now I think the problem is, that Rust and programs depending on it look in absolute locations for c++.