Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:11:31 -0600
From:      "Steven N. Fettig" <freebsd@stevenfettig.com>
To:        Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions List' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: backup

Eric,

I think what you are looking for is drive mirroring (which I think is
known as RAID 1).  Although I have never done this myself, the Handbook
seems to give good pointers at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/raid.html

For more information on mirroring control, the man of ccdconfig:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ccdconfig&sektion=8

If you are looking at backup *philosophy* in general, though, mirroring
doesn't cover it because a catastrophic system failure would simply be
copied to the mirrored drive (or worse, in the case of an electrical
failure - i.e. drive, board, controller burnout - you would lose
everything).  I only mention this because it has happened to me and I
have been extremely thankful for my tape backups...

Steve Fettig