Date:      17 Aug 1998 12:18:49 +0900
From:      CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
To:        =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2YwZhsoQg==?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSxHbhsoQg==?= <g-nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp>
Cc:        hjh@best.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: gettext

=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2YwZhsoQg==?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSxHbhsoQg==?= <g-nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp> writes:

> > - What ports other than GNOME take advantage of gettext?  Usually
> > ports have gettext configure option commented out (in the patches).
>
> The i18n support. For the native-english people, there is no advantage
> so it may be disapear for the default port.
> I'm developping the Japanized GNOME, so very important.

print/a2ps(not a2ps43), x11-wm/windowmaker, print/freetype,
misc/gnuls(GNU fileutils), need libintl.a(or gettext). Maybe there is
more...

> > - Current port uses 0.10 dated 1995-12-04 whereas the latest
> > version is 0.10.32 dated 1998-04-30 available from alpha site.
> > Any plans to upgrade?  The latest one compiles cleanly.
>
> OK, I should upgrade that. But when gnome can't run with that,
> we should have two branches, gettext and gettext-latest or some.
> And when you needs the latest gettext port very very soon, please
> send me patch...

Personally I made the ports of gettext-0.10.35. It works with a2ps,
windowmaker(I tested with Korean(ko_KR.EUC) locale). I'll send it to
you if you want.

> > - Maybe I should ask it in -hackers:
> > I think Solaris has gettext in libc.  Is there any plan to have
> > BSD gettext in our libc or in some other library?
>
> I don't know what the core team people really think, but
> FreeBSD has its own locale system so doesn't seem to need gettext
> natively.

Yes, libc has catget(). When I make gettext ports, I added a
--with-catgets switch when configuration process. It works and can
pass all tests, but some application gettextized still need
libintl.a(and libintl.h). a2ps-4.10.3 works with --with-catgets, but
windowmaker(0.17.5) fails...

And, I looked your gettext ports(misc/gettext). I prefer add
--program-prefix=g switch because we have xgettext and msgfmt already
in X. It is hard to find gxgettext or gmsgfmt(maybe we try to modify
`configure' script in every ports using GNU gettext), but renaming
need to work in every PATH combination....

--
 ----Cool FreeBSD!----MSX Forever!---J.U.N.K.E.R/Beat Snatchers!----
  CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>  http://jazz.snu.ac.kr/~junker