Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:05:29 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   more on optimimise for size (was space)

Hi,

Here are some results for building 'bridge' on 4.0-stable
with -Os (optimize for size) passed to gcc instead of -O.
Results looked good, but gzip let me down.

1) CHANGE THE OPTIMISATION FLAGS FOR GCC
I built the kernel 4 times, with different optimisation settings.
default optimise: gcc -O  kernel is 1212593 bytes.
 better optimise: gcc -02 kernel is 1211345 bytes
   best optimise: gcc -O3 kernel is 1257613  bytes
   size optimise: gcc -Os kernel is 1203761 bytes

GOOD NEWS FOR THE KERNEL
Yippee. comparing 'size' to 'default' optimisation,
we SAVE 8832 bytes, or 8K

2) COMPRESSING KERNEL WITH GZIP
Then I gzipped the kernel files using gzip.
default optimise: kernel.gz is  551628 bytes
 better optimise: kernel.gz is  559805 bytes.
   best optimise: kernel.gz is  576482 bytes.
  size optimise:  kernel.gz is  554033 bytes.

BAD NEWS FOR GZIP
comparing 'size' to 'default' This is a 2.4k INCREASE.

SUMMARY
Optimise for size will make the kernel image 8k smaller
but it will not make it fit on the floppy any better.

Any comments on this?

Platform
FreeBSD 4.0-stable kernel (updated source yesterday)
Bridge kernel but with some local modifications.
(take out dummynet and ipfw, add new network card drivers)

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.