Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:49:31 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        lbland <lbland@vvi.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: select(2)'s timeout argument

=On Jun 29, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
=
=> Why is the pointer to the `struct timeval' not declared as `const'?
=> Can select(2) ever modify the structure pointed to? Thanks!

Thank you very much, Lance, for the quick response!

=Some versions of Linux modified timeval. Posix.1g specifies const
=qualifier. I think most unixes don't modify it. I think ?? in the old
=days some unixes did modify it. legacy and compatibility issues.

If Posix.1g specifies const-ness and we don't, in fact, modify it, is
it a bug, we don't declare it const?

	-mi