Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 13:37:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu (Dayton Clark)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-realtime@hda.com, proven@mit.edu, pschung@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Subject:   Re: Posix thread library

> Threads were available on FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 (libpthread).  There was
> some talk a few months ago of bringing them (it?) up to Draft 8 and
> onto 2.0R.  Has there been any progress?

That's a good question! :-)

Every USENIX I talk to the thread god (Chris Provenzano) about it, who
either says that something is imminent on this front or that we need
to decide whether or not we're going to go for a fully thread-safe
libc.  The libc changes entail either a compile-time switch to enable
it or leaving it *always* on so that main() is just your first
autocreated thread.

Either way, once we decide how we want it to go them we need to get
Chris or someone to finally bring the changes in.  How important are
ptreads to folks?  David, do you remember the conclusions we reached
when we last talked to Chris in N.O.?  Did we reach any conclusions? :-)

						Jordan