Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:05:27 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Uninstalling ports COMPLETELY

Dennis Jun wrote:

> Hello, I'm a newbie to FreeBSD so please bare with me
> if this is an obvious matter.

	We were all new once, welcome.

> I installed a program from the ports collection but
> later I realised I didn't need it anymore. So did a
> "make deinstall". I believe that erases all the
> binaries. However, I noticed the amount of free space
> on my drive was relatively the same. Then I erased the
> "work" directory in the port directory and my disk
> space was back up to what it was before. My question is
> have I uninstalled everything by doing those 2 things?

	The two things are seperate steps for a good reason. You might have
updated your port build from a previous version that you have installed,
and you want pkg_delete/make deinstall to remove the installed version,
but leave your compiled sources in place so you can install the new
version with a minimum of interruption. As Alfred said, assuming that
the port has a proper PLIST (packing list, and they almost all do) then
you will have deleted all traces by doing these two steps. The one
exception is that ports are almost always written not to delete any
configuration files that the program needs. This is to aid reinstalls.
If I install a program and spend time configuring it I don't want
pkg_delete to nuke my hard work when I upgrade to the next version. :)
Take a look in /usr/local/etc/ and see if there are any files related to
the port you installed. Other than that you should be fine.

	At the same time, if you ever deinstall a port and notice that it
_does_ leave cruft behind (other than the config files mentioned above)
you should drop a note to ports@freebsd.org. We definitely want those
plist's to stay up to date.

Enjoy,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"