Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:00:44 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

Uncle Sam likes money so if you are legally working or studying in the
US it's easy to get a SSN. In my case the INS came to the University
and with a simple letter from the employer (in this case office of
international services) they assigned it.

I've heard that there are so many illegal Colombians in the US lately
that they created something called a "Tax ID" just so this
theoretically illegal people pay taxes.

OTOH, paying taxes is not nice and I hate credit cards, so I use a
checking account which let's me buy stuff just like a VISA card.

    Pedro