Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:50:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave <dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   adding drive & filesystem facelift

As I am finding myself running out of /var and swap space, I would like to
redo my current setup. I have a 3 Gigger and 850 meg:

#df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a     31775    16754    12479    57%    /
/dev/wd0s1f   2864414   967950  1667311    37%    /usr
/dev/wd0s1e     29727    12828    14521    47%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
/dev/wd2c      805199   155051   585733    21%    /usr/src

#cat /etc/fstab
# Device        Mountpoint      FStype Options          Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b     none            swap   sw               0       0
/dev/wd0s1a     /               ufs    rw               1       1
/dev/wd0s1f     /usr            ufs    rw               1       1
/dev/wd0s1e     /var            ufs    rw               1       1
proc            /proc           procfs rw               0       0
/dev/wd2c       /usr/src        ufs     rw              1       1

Via symlinks I was able to decrease my /var usage to a manageable level.
Currently /usr has backups on it and 32% used is a more accurate estimate.
I intend to repartition the 850 and use it for /var, /usr/src/, a swap
partition, and possibly /home (from /usr/home). I think I can muddle
through most of this, but I have some concerns and questions.

I believe that somebody confirmed that FreeBSD will use more than one swap
partititions - are there any special concerns here or do I just create a
swap partition, add an fstab entry and be done with it?

Secondly, what the heck to I do about the old /var currently mounted on
/dev/wd0s1e? I really want to avoid repartioning that drive.

Thirdly, and this idea was brought on by an earlier thread, am I better
off with a real /home rather than /usr/home? This seems advantageous to me
(and I'm really not trying to start a debate).

Lastly, am I overlooking a better solution? I'm thinking that maybe I can
implement some sort of optimization strategy in which I spread the
filesystems over the two disks to increase speed by utilizing my disks
more efficiently. Clearly this would have been much easier if I had
both disks installed when I installed FreeBSD, but if someone has a
suggestion, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dave