Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:53:38 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates

%:> What were the requirements for NASA/Ames?
%:>
%:>
%:
%:Replacement for the Convex (chuck && scott) machines, i.e., > 900GB
%:reliable standard filesystem that you could then put RASH hooks into
%:later. Whether these would be via locally attached disk or via a HIPPI
%:network block device ('raw frame' driver) was/in indeterminate.
%:
%:It's not clear whether anything but NetBSD will be used for these
%:machines, but there had been so many hardware related and also possible
%:FFS related problems with the MSS3 project that I was allowed to go off
%:and search for possible alternatives. Digital Unix/ADVFS as is Solaris/UFS
%:and Solaris/SAMFS (LSC's produce) are also candidates, but those are less
%:attractive because they're not open source solutions. At any rate, at the
%:time I was doing this, I could not demonstrate FreeBSD/FFS to be a
%:superior combo than NetBSD/FFS, hence the term 'loss'.
%:
%:-matt
%
%    If you need absolute reliability, I would seriously consider a NetApp.
%    I'd choose that over everything - solaris, irix, *bsd, linux, NT.  You
%    name it.
%

If the solution were bought off the shelf, there would be no need for
NASA Ames.  Therefore...

Actually, what they want is something that can be claimed to evolve
apace with their spreadsheeted extrapolations of user needs for the
next 5 and 10 years.  These extrapolations more or less follow Moore's
law applied to things like current storage requirements, so it's always an
interesting process keeping ahead, given NASA's acquisition process.

Russell

%					-Matt
%					Matthew Dillon
%					<dillon@backplane.com>
%
%
%To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
%with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
%