Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:24:55 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        The Thodes <aspiesrule@mcleodusa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Big hard disks?

On Apr 27, 2004, at 11:52 AM, The Thodes wrote:
> Does FreeBSD support using large hard disks on a machine which does
> not have
> large hard drive support?  The machine is an AT&T Globalyst 515
> (486DX4/100,
> 24MB RAM, <500MB stock hard drive) and the drive is a Seagate ST38421A
> (8455MB U2).

FreeBSD supports large hard drives, yes, but the problem is that your
BIOS may not be able to boot from the drive.  I once had a machine like
that which I hadta bootstrap from floppies each time I rebooted it,
which was a pain but tolerable for a server that stays up continuously.

See whether you can find a BIOS upgrade for your system...

--
-Chuck