Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:22:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbufs, allocated memory and the like

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> I feel so silly posting to -questions, but...
>
> bash-2.02$ netstat -m
> 209/256 mbufs in use:
> 	209 mbufs allocated to data
> 208/212/8192 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 456 Kbytes allocated to network (96% in use)

	I believe that the 96% in use refers to the number of mbufs
actually allocated, 209.  It will then allocate more as they are needed up
until it hits the max, 8192 in this case.
	I really like the output of netstat -m on 3.0 much better than on
2.2.x, since it displays the max mbuf's also.

> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines
>
> Is the 96% in use something I should be worrying about? What kernel
> options should I set higher.

	If my assumption above is correct ( by all means some one
straighten me out quickly if I'm not ) then it's not a problem and nothing
to worry about since you are not even close to your max.

> maxusers is 128
> NMBCLUSTERS is 8192 (obviously, from the data above)

	Somewhere I recall that the calculation for NMBCLUSTERS uses the
maxusers setting.  So you may actually be lowering your mbuf's by
specifically setting it.  I don't recall exactly what the calculation is,
it's in the source somewhere :-)

> Thanks,

* Joseph M. Scott
* jmscott@ainet.com