Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 02:13:13 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        "Marcelo J. Iturbe" <marcelo@msm.cl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: going stable...

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:21:05AM -0400, Marcelo J. Iturbe wrote:
> Hello,
> When I bought FreeBSD, I thought I was buying a stable version but they
> sent me 3.3-Release (back in December).

A release is actually a 'snapshot' from the stable branch of FreeBSD
and is certainly 'stable'.

> I have been having lots of problems with SCSI controlers, Memory
> recognition etc..
> So I wa thinking of downloading a stable kernel and compiling that.

In FreeBSD you are not supposed to install another kernel without
installing 'world' as well; kernel+world should be in sync or otherwise
you can expect problems.

> So I went into /stand/sysinstall  and choose FTP as instalation Media.
> When into options and chose 3.0-stable as the distribution name because
> that is what I found under:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/3.0-stable/

3.0-stable is much older then 3.3-release...

> But, it told me that it could not find the release and to try "none" and so
> I did and I still can't install from FTP.
> What should I try? how does one install frmo FTP successfuly?

Try to find out first *why* you have problems with 3.3-release. For example:

- Be sure your hardware is supported (what SCSI controller do you have?).
- What kind of problems do you encounter? Is there an error message that
gives a clue?

If you don't really know what the problem is, you have a good chance that
you will have the same problem with a later version of FreeBSD...

Karel.