Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 14:58:14 +0100
From:      Jason Taylor <jason+freebsd@kanda.com>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] question about expired web sites

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:26:31PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> Sorry if this is off topic -
> If a domain name is expired, but is still listed in the whois database,
> how long does it stay until the name can be taken by someone else?
>
> I am unable to register a name which is expired now almost a month.

That will depend alot on the registrar/country..

Theres a few possibilities:

1. They drop them back in the pool.
2. They stay with the registrar for a long time and are used as an advertising placeholder.
3. Registrar announces it for sale.
4. Registrar allows alot of time for previous owner to renew.
5. Registrar sells it off to some dodgy third party so they can get the hits.

Jason..