Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:46:49 +0800
From:      Xu Qiang <Qiang.Xu@fujixerox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   1 byte more?

Hi, all: =

I just met a strange problem. =

In FreeBSD 5.3, I want to create a new txt file with vi, and type a single =
digit into it, and save it for future use.

My steps are: =

1 vi count.txt
2 type i (for insert mode)
3 type 0
4 Esc
5 :wq

Then by "ls -l", I found the file's size is 2 bytes, intead of 1 byte as I =
expected. =

Then I did a similar thing in MS Windows, to create a txt file with only 1 =
digit in it. The behavior is expected, the file is 1 byte long. And when I =
ftp'ed that file to FreeBSD, the size is still correct. =

Why does vi in FreeBSD add 1 invisible character to the txt file? =

Looking forward to any possible help, =

Regards,
Xu Qiang