Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:40:05 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Unknow User' <kernel@tdnet.com.br>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: block size, simple question!

	[ML]  a fragment (a partial block) cannot be larger than a block
:)

> Is that possible to have this size (512 bytes) ?
	[ML]  File fragmentation would be horrendous (DOS-FAT
fragmentation sense).  If you are concerned by the space wastage on
partially filled blocks, FFS uses a number of full blocks plus a number
of block fragments at the end of the file.  Thus you get lower file
fragmentation (blocks are big and contiguous) and don't waste space at
the end of the file because more than one file tails can reside in one
in block fragments split block.

	What you seem to want is -b 2048 -f 512.

	/Marino