Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 23:11:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        luke@roberts.nl (Luke Roberts)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, hm@hcs.de
Subject:   Re: irritating messages in all ttyv's

As Luke Roberts wrote ...
> Hi Hellmuth,
>
> >> May  8 12:59:09 dilis /kernel: i4b-L1-timer4_expired: state = F3 Deactivated
> >
> >This is the error (!) message that layer 1 could not be accessed by the
> >upper layers (persistent deactivation).
>
> Hmm... what does this mean exactly? Should I not be able to make a connection?
>
> >The message is either a real error or an implementation problem due to
> >a different timing or so at your site (are you connected to a PBX ?) and
> >it would be nice if this could be verified somehow.
>
> Strange error, because the whole configuration now works fantasticly. I use
> FreeBSD 2.2.7 stable and i4 0.71 together with NATd and Firewall as a
> gateway machine to the internet.

FWIW I've also seen this here in Arnhem, on multiple machines running
2.2.8-stable and Teles 16.3.

I've never worried about the messages because everything just keeps on
running brilliantly.

> The Teles 16.3 ISA card is connected directly to the NT1 ISDN S0 bus. There
> is a PBX hooked up to the other port of the NT1 but could this be the
> problem? (that's if this is a problem cause all works fine ;-)

I think cabling can be ruled out because I've also seen it occur on a CAT5
cable going straight to the NT1 of Dutch Telecom. I installed the cable
myself and had the PTT guy run his ISDN tester on it while he drank coffee.
Excellent cabling was the end verdict.

Groeten / Cheers,