Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:18:33 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new FS to FreeBSD

Greg Lehey wrote:
> Unfortunately, it's still copyrighted.  You need an SCO license; want
> to go and get one of them?  It doesn't cost anything, but I can't give
> the software to anybody who hasn't agreed to the conditions.

8.4(b) says you can't give it to anyone, even if they do have the
license, unless you contact Caldera first, and then maintain (in
perpeturity) a list of the sources made available.

I think we are screwed by section 2.1(d) anyway:

	Commercial use by LICENSEE of SOURCE CODE PRODUCTS or
	of any result, enhancement or modification associated
	with the use of SOURCE CODE PRODUCTS under this AGREEMENT
	is not permitted.

Basically, I couldn't get an article out of it because I could't
disclose it to anyone but a licensesee, and only a licensee could
use the code, and I couldn't give source to the licensee without
the permission of Caldera, and once they had the code, they could
not use it for anything commercial unless they negotiated a seperate
commercial use license.

Frankly, if you want to provide small disk images (preferrably, very
small, not multimegabyte) as I've described are needed anyway, along
with a description of the what's on the images, along with such layout
information as you feel comfortable providing, I'd pretty much rather
reverse engineer the stuff than get a Caldera license.

At least that way, I can get an article out of doing the thing.

-- Terry