Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 00:55:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   soft updates panic once more; downgrading

I had another soft updates panic today on my pre-CAM kernel, which I had
believed to be stable (it has Luoqi's patch and made it through several
world builds).

IdlePTD 2031616
initial pcb at 1c9680
panicstr: softdep_lock: locking against myself
panic messages:
---
panic: initiate_write_filepage: dir inum 0 != new 246465

syncing disks... panic: softdep_lock: locking against myself
#0  0xf011427a in boot ()
#1  0xf011452f in panic ()
#2  0xf01663a7 in acquire_lock ()
#3  0xf016aa66 in softdep_update_inodeblock ()
#4  0xf0165350 in ffs_update ()
#5  0xf016d830 in ffs_sync ()
#6  0xf013780f in sync ()
#7  0xf011412c in boot ()
#8  0xf011452f in panic ()
#9  0xf01698b7 in initiate_write_filepage ()
#10 0xf01696db in softdep_disk_io_initiation ()
#11 0xf0141a5d in spec_strategy ()
#12 0xf01411d9 in spec_vnoperate ()
#13 0xf0175eb1 in ufs_vnoperatespec ()
#14 0xf017587f in ufs_strategy ()
#15 0xf0175e81 in ufs_vnoperate ()
#16 0xf012eb47 in bwrite ()
#17 0xf0133196 in vop_stdbwrite ()
#18 0xf0132fd1 in vop_defaultop ()
#19 0xf0175e81 in ufs_vnoperate ()
#20 0xf012ed60 in bawrite ()
#21 0xf016f2d4 in ffs_fsync ()
#22 0xf01351e8 in sched_sync ()
#23 0xf0107ba0 in kproc_start ()
#24 0xf0188260 in fork_trampoline ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x1f0f00.

Does anyone have any docs on how to downgrade cleanly to -stable?  I
really want to be a beta tester, but this level of instability is just
too much.  :-(

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."