Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 18:35:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jcoombs@gwi.net
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V5 #1820

I have a command line utility that handles the lights for now, but I'm
still working on shoehorning the business end into the blanksaver. I
didn't have a development system over the holidays, but I plan to make
another go of it this weekend. I can email you the C source for the
current program, though - it's not terribly complicated.

Right now, I have scripts that turn the green (power) light on during the
boot sequence, and I *almost* have an X server that handles the
extra keyboard/LED's. It translates the "function" buttons as F1-F10, F13
- remaps the volume/mute buttons as 147,148,149. The arrow keys are
simply mapped as, well arrow keys. I thought about having them produce
"ALT+RIGHT/LEFT", but I find I use them on the command line as well.
Lastly, the "PRINTER" button is now an "ESCAPE" key. I really wish I could
get xmodmap to recognize higher scancodes... Lastly, the power button
currently calls an empty function that will toggle the screen backlight on
and off. I'm still working out how this should work with the blanker, but
I get the feeling it won't be a big deal.

I hard-coded most of this in a modified Xfree86 3.3.6 SVGA server. 3.3.6
uses *FAR* less RAM than 4.x does, but it doesn't natively handle
keycodes above 150. I have tried mucking with the 3.x version of xmodmap,
but I can't make it see scancodes over 150 - even when the X server
clearly generates them (I can see them using xev). Otherwise, I would
simply have the server generate high value scancodes, and use Xmodmap to
remap. Can't have it all, I suppose. I find I have ~4Mb of free RAM after
everything is up on this testbed system. (I was swapping heavily with
4.1.2)

BTW - I have a good XF86Config for 3.3.6. 800x600@16bit color. It's
trimmed down to just the basics, but it works quite well.

If I could just get xdm to work! ARGHH - no one on the list seems to know
how to set up xdm at all, much less for remote logins. At least xfs is
working, so I still get pretty fonts in applications. Once I get xdm
licked, I'll be a long ways towards my dedicated x terminals.

Anyway, once I get all the code finished, I'll be more than happy to
share. The entire OS fits on a 340MB microdrive with nearly 50Mb to
spare.

Seth Henry