Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2012 09:40:19 +0100
From:      Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
To:        AN <andy@neu.net>
Cc:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with VLC and hardware acceleration

On 07.12.2012 23:57 (UTC+1), AN wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Juergen Lock wrote:
>>
>> You can test the clang theory by building for example the libva port
>> with gcc, i.e. put
>>
>>     USE_GCC=    any
>>
>> in it's port Makefile.  And if that doesn't help try building
>> the libva-vdpau-driver or libvdpau ports with gcc too.
>>
>> And don't forget to report what you find of course... :)
>>
>> HTH,
>>     Juergen
>>

> Hi Juergen:
>
> Well I got a little bit further, but still no hardware acceleration.  I
> had to install libva-vdpau-driver, for some reason it was not installed.
> Shouldn't it have been installed by one of the other ports?  Maybe I am
> missing some other port that I need?  So now I have:
>
> # vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.33.0
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/nvidia_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_33
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.33 (libva 1.1.0)
> vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for
> VA-API - 0.7.4
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Simple              :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Main                :    VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD
>

> But when I run vlc I do not see hardware acceleration.
> [0x803c2a078] main input debug: looking for a subtitle file in /root/Music/
> [0x80e06c458] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 28 candidates
> [0x80e06c458] main decoder debug: using decoder module "faad"
> [0x80e06c458] main decoder debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.959 ms - Total
> 1.959 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.959 ms)
> [0x80e06cc58] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 28 candidates
> [0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: libavcodec initialized (interface
> 0x363b64)
> [0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: trying to use direct rendering
> [0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: allowing 1 thread(s) for decoding
> [0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: ffmpeg codec (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC
> (part 10)) started
> [0x80e06cc58] main decoder debug: using decoder module "avcodec"
> [0x80e06cc58] main decoder debug: TIMER module_need() : 7.807 ms - Total
> 7.807 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 7.807 ms)
>

> I recompiled
> ffmpeg1-1.0.1
> libva
> libva-vdpau-driver
> with GCC, but it still doesn't work.  Giving up for now.  Has anyone got
> it working with world and ports compiled with clang?

Yes, my complete system (10.0-CURRENT amd64) and multimedia ports are
built with clang and hardware decoding seems to work:

#vlc filename.mp4
[..snip..]
[0x5346c058] avcodec decoder warning: threaded frame decoding is not
compatible with ffmpeg-hw, disabled
libva info: VA-API version 0.33.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/nvidia_drv_video.so
[0x5346c858] faad decoder warning: decoded zero sample
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_33
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
[0x5346c058] avcodec decoder: Using VA API version 0.33 for hardware
decoding.
[..snip..]

Did you reinstall vlc after rebuilt of libva and libva-vdpau-driver with
option VAAPI set?

Hope this helps,
Rainer