Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:34:51 -0700
From:      jayanth <jayanth@yahoo-inc.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Putting all PCBs into sysctl?

Mike Silbersack (silby@silby.com) wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > * George V. Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com> [020425 20:02] wrote:
> > > Hey Folks,
> > >
> > > 	I was just wondering if anyone had considered making it possible to
> > > control PCBs from the sysctl interface?  I'm not completely familiar with
> > > sysctl yet, is it possible to add information to the database dynamically?
> > >
> > > 	It would be nice to be able to disconnect, or modify, long running
> > > connections,
> > > for instance on a machine under DOS attack or perhaps for debugging.
> > >
> > > 	Just an idea...
> >
> > A very good one in fact, see what you can do, I'd be interested in
> > seeing patches to do this safely.
> >
> > --
> > -Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
>
> Agreed, that would be cool.  The only problem I can see is how you would
> uniquely identify a socket.  (It wouldn't be nice to kill the wrong socket
> because they switched out from under you.)

We have a sysctl that takes the four tuple as an argument, which can
be got from netstat -an output. It is used only for deleting a
connection not modifying it.

for e.g
sysctl net.inet.tcp.deleteconn="a.b.c.d:80:x.y.z.w:30000".

netstat -Aan gives us the tcp control block address or the inpcb address
depending on the type of socket. That could also be used for identifying
the socket.

jayanth