Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:59:47 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        skat@flask.com
Cc:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>, isp@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Active Server Pages

>On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Doug White wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Jason McKay wrote:

>> > Allot of my Internet users are asking if they can use their Microsoft Active
>> > Server Pages (ASP) on my Apache web server.. Is it possible, if so how?

>> I've never heard of that.  I would assume that this is some sort of
>> Microsoft-server-specific extensions, so no, they wouldn't work.

>ASP is similar to SSI (i.e., it accepts INCLUDE, ECHO), except you can embed
>VBASIC script in their HTML files. I think, the close Apache equivalent is
>PHP/FI (http:www.vex.net/php).

I think that's one of the more convoluted descritions I've heard. ;-)

ASP stands for Active Server Pages (pretty soon they're going to
change the name of Microsoft to "Active Software").

Basically, the core technology of ASP is server-side scripting.  You
can imbed scripts for any interpreter that has full IActiveScript
interface support.  This currently includes the VBScript and
JavaScript (a. k. a. LiveScript) engines.  Supposedly there's also a
version of Perl out there that will work in this context.

The scripts are interpreted and run on the server when the page that
contains them is hit, generating HTML, as necessary, and are capable
of invoking and activating standard COM objects on the server.  IIS
keeps track of session and application scope.  It provides objects
that give access to the session and application scope.

It's actually very cool stuff.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.