Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:33:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Phil Payne <phil@sal-n-phil.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba, Cups and Printing: Windows client gives "Access denied"

Hi Phil!

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Phil Payne wrote:
> I've got an HP printer on USB port on Freebsd 4-Stable box. Printer is
> on /dev/ulpt0. Installed cups and printing from BSD is fine.
>
> Had samba installed and working great for filesharing. Now introduced an
> all printers share to share this printer. Printer is browseable from
> windows machine.
>
> When I install this printer on a Win2K machine (and use local drivers) I
> get "Access Denied, Unable to Connect." Unlike some other people's
> experience I cannot print to the printer despite this message.
I have got the same problem, only the other way round:
Last week I managed to get my standalone print server with samba
and cups working, but I can't exactly tell how I did it, so you
can help me there  :-)
This is my smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/12/29 08:09:35

# Global parameters
[global]
	netbios name = SMALL
	security = SHARE
	passdb backend = guest
	ldap ssl = no
	hosts allow = 192.168.10.

[share]
	path = /share
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[hpdj]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes

Everyone on my home network can print to my FreeBSD machine.
[share] is a share I just put up for testing purposes.
[hpdj] is the printer, just the way I set it up with cups for
local printing - no raw printer or anything like that.
/var/spool/samba
is a directory I put in myself. Its permissions are set to
drwxrwxrwt nobody nobody .

Ideas for this setup com from J. Terpstra (one of samba's
devellopers)
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/StandAloneServer.html

I am using samba3 compiled against cups on -CURRENT .

As I said it works, but I am not sure if this is everything one
needs to do.

Hope it helps,

Uli.

	|    Peter Ulrich Kruppa    |