Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:55:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
To:        mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Chat@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org, jtc@NetBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Free Systems Journal -- Philosophy

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, mike allison wrote:

> Hello again:
>
> While we're a bit busy with this conversation about newsletters and
> jounals, I just wanted to stand up and lay out my philosophy in regards
> to what Free Systems Journal should be.
>
> First of all it has to be an organ (sorry bevis) for the issues that the
> Free systems community faces.  That is the ENTIRE community.  Let no one
> think that this community belongs any more to the Linux users than it
> does to the FreeDOS or Minix users.  We're all in this together.  We
> don't need to agree but we can't deal anyone out.  I said my original
> desire for this sprang from Linux Journal's continued open disregard of
> other systems.  That is not a negative stance for LJ, on the contrary,
> it never claimed to be anything but.  On the other hand, there has
> always been a need for coverage of other systems in a responsive manner,
> not as an aside to some greater issue.  I assure you if LJ paid
> attention to other systems, they wouldn't do it justice.  I myself
> wonder how it can be done, but we'll find a pole to revolve around and
> then expand or contract based on community needs.
>
> I don't think any one person, or group, is more qualified to contribute
> than another.  A newbie might have just as pertinent a concern as anyone
> else, and just as elegant a solution.  There are many more newbies out
> there than gurus.  Unlike many of the people out there, a lot of us
> don't have a guru to defer to.  (Except the newsgroups, and we don't
> always know who's answering the mail there.)
>
> I want this endeavor to become something useful to all of us, that we
> can all have a stake in and be proud of.  If the NetBSD folks do
> something cool, or pull off a major installation, like say, to the
> Justice Department, we should all be proud and pull a little closer.
>
> Our similarities are our strength our differences merely distractions.
> Our goal should be to become smarter as individuals and to make
> computing a transparent part of our lives (both from a control sense,
> and a cost sense).  I don't mind having to pay for good software, but I
> do mind not being able to chose and bad software eventually becoming the
> ONLY software.
>
> UNIX (Sorry to whomever owns the trademark this week) was always open in
> this sense.  It was the great equalizer.  It has again become that great
> equalizer.  It has motivated people to create Free systems and that
> includes free versions of some of the most popular, most expensive and
> most controlled personal computing software.
>
> If you flood my office with contributions, I'll publish what I can.
> What's really good I'll pass on to others to publish.  There's no way
> that we'll sit on a valuable article just to pump some imagined value
> out of it.
>
> I'm open to any suggestions about how to provide this service.  I'm a
> book guy and magazines are new to us.  But I'm become zealous about this
> and I'm determined to see it through.

> [...]

|FreeBSD is good.      FreeBSD is our friend.     UNIX is our god.|
*Micro$oft is bad.                      Micro$oft causes problems.*
|"I hate quotes in signature files"            :-}  MAtthew Fuller|
*fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu                  FreeBSD junkie*
|http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     Westminster College|