Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:47:03 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Taavi_T=E4navsuu?= <tanavst@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Harddisk problem

Taavi T=E4navsuu wrote:

> I'm not yet very familiar with harddisks, filesystems, and FreeBSD,=20
> but is
> there anything else i could try to make the disk usable again, or is it=

> somehow physically damaged?

There are two possibilities:

1) The disk is damaged.  From your output that's what I'd think. =20
Download the Samsung diagnostics for your disk and try them.  If the=20
disk fails those, then you should be able to get a warranty=20
replacement.  Before that, you could try installing the "smartmontools"=20
port and running "smartctl -a /dev/{your disk}".  That will tell you if=20
the disk itself thinks it is dying.

2) But before you do any of that, try changing the cable that connects=20
your disk.  It may be as simple as that, but your errors are a bit too=20
specific for me to believe this is the problem.  After changing the=20
cable try your fsck again.  But really, this looks like a long shot.

3) Before any of those things, copy your files somewhere else, if you=20
can.  Dying disks often get worse.  Not quite sure how you'll manage=20
that given that you don't seem to be able to mount the disk.  Maybe=20
someone here will have an idea.  Something with dd ought to work, if you =

have somewhere to dd to.

--Alex