Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Axis <axis@isis.aye.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Axis wrote:

> I have been using *BSD* for around 3 years now. My problem is thatI have
> always used the console for system administration duties. I really want to
> put a kick *** system together to run X with all of the luxuries.
> I have noticed there is not that much support for sound cards andvideo
> display adapters.
> Given your experience, Could you please inform me of which sound card and
> video display adapter works best with FreeBSD.

  This became more complex recently when a lot of new stuff appeared in
XFree86, but without that much of kicking ***es, Matrox Millennium G200
AGP and SB AWE64 ("Gold" or "Value") is a cheap and decently supported
combination.

  3D features of G200 are currently unsupported, but 1. you probably don't
need them anyway, 2. it's expected that this will be one of the first
3D-accelerated cards, natively supported with GLX in XFree86.

> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, BSDI all have one simularity;
> They are all better than LINUX or (Like Its Not UNIX). :)

  [flame skipped].

--
Alex