Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 01:05:00 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@link.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp.gulf.net not accepting anonymous connections ?

Hi.

>From my latest -current sources, I see that /usr/src/etc/mail/Makefile
still refers to fetching ips.txt and domains.txt from
ftp.gulf.net

gulf.net's ftp server doesn't accept anonymous connections;
[chain] ~# ftp ftp.gulf.net
Connected to kingfish.neworleans.gulf.net.
220 kingfish.neworleans.gulf.net FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Fri Jan 17 12:05:
30 MST 1997) ready.
Name (ftp.gulf.net:root): ftp
530 User ftp unknown.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> user
(username) anonymous
530 User anonymous unknown.
Login failed.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
[chain] ~#

For at least the last two months now, their ftp server doesn't
accept anonymous connections. I tried phoning them to ask if they
had a alternative site/location, but just got some dumb
comptuer-controlled voice. Seeing that I was paying International
rates, I hung up after three minutes of not getting any nearer
to a human.

---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@iafrica.com ; khetan@os.org.za
http://www.os.org.za/~khetan  * Talk/Finger khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za
FreeBSD enthusiast            * http://www2.za.freebsd.org/
Security-wise, NT is a OS with a "kick me" sign taped to it