Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:04:40 -0600
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu>
To:        iratus@home.com
Cc:        "Paul D. Schmidt" <pds@uberhacker.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lyx or something better?

> Hello Paul-Lyx is a very powerful and mostly wysiwyg front end to Tex but
> you might also want to take a look at LaTeX in the raw, so to speak.

ack, ack, ack! :)  It's not a frontend to latexany more (it used to be,
but it's been a couple of years since that was true).  It's
freestanding, and uses latex as it's primary output, and can now read
almost all latex.  You can also embed latex in it when you run across
anything that lyx doesn't do.

\gratuitous_self_promoting_plug{Also, the mailmerge contrib package for form
letters is written in lyx.   It does pretty much what word 1-5.1 did,
but with nesting and the like.  There is a form letter package for
latex, but it didn't do what I needed.  It was easier to add to lyx
than to send out 200 job letters with word's current excuse for
mail-merge.}

ob plug:  It's currently a contrib package. I'm going to rewrite it as
a library that lyx or anything else can call.  I can't bear to see my
baby face the GPL . . .

rick

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.