Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:18:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to kill processes that don't want to die

In article <19990721073946.A2367@converging.net>,
Charlie &  <dtougas@converging.net> wrote:
: How do I kill a process gone bad that does not want to die via
: the normal 'kill -9 pid' command?  I have an instance of tar
: that hung when writing to my atapi tape drive, and now there
: seems to be no way to get rid of it.

When that happens, it means the process is hung in a "close"
system call (or the equivalent that happens during exit). Until
the close completes, the process will not exit. If the close call
cannot complete, the process cannot ever be killed. This is a
problem that can occur for any device where activity might occur
during the close yet where the device can be off-line. Many
drivers don't handle this case very well, so your only solution
may be to reboot your machine. You can _try_ turning the drive on
and inserting a tape. That might work. Or not. And it might mangle
the data on the tape, too.