Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:43:27 +1000
From:      "Robert Chalmers" <robert.a.chalmers@gmail.com>
To:        "'Brad Pitney'" <pitney.brad@googlemail.com>, "'peter stern'" <pstern@65north.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: recovering from the 6.3 xorg mess

Well, I suppose this will eventually get to the original poster.

I too have just gone through this nightmare. But, I short circuited it all.

I went to a clean install of 7.0-RELEASE.

Ah ha. Easy. Nope.  The gremlins were waiting.

So basically here's what I did.

When I loaded the new system, I installed EVERYTHING I could enable. If
there was an option, I installed it.
Beautiful.
Rebooted - X blah blah blah .... of course not.
Fiddled with the xogconfig and made lots of xorg.config attempts, then
realised - looking at the log - that it couldn't find the S3 driver. Yes,
ancient S3 card in this box. All of 8 years old.
So - took a clue from the log, and went into I think, like,
....xorg-drivers, and looked at the Makefile, which had everything in it. I
commented out the things I would never need - mouses, and video - which is
all that is in there, and left in the obvious ones, including some that
"might come in handy one day" and typed
Make install clean
Now it all works. Well, as soon as I figure out some of the other mystical
incantations - worse than World of War this lot.

But bottom lline.
Go into that xorg-driveers directory and check the Makefile, then "make
install clean" and lots of things start happening.

And I add - this is after a clean install where I said "Just do it" ... yea
right. :-)

Sorry I can't check those directories - I'm currently trying to port in VNC
.... I live in hope.
Robert